The 400 pound mile

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Let's talk about food

From another bloggers post

http://spaces.msn.com/sharbear/
_________
Food Choices
Food choices are interesting, aren't they?

For example - 3 slices of a small pizza are 390 calories. One pound of frozen green beans are 125 calories. One family size Cambells Chicken Soup is total 360 calories (for the whole can!)

Food for thought, so to speak

___________

Now, I know I am not counting calories, and am just trying to generally eat healthy, but this has me thinking. 3 pieces of a small pizza, has as many calories as 3 pounds of frozen beans! Now, for those of you out there fighting the battle of the bulge who are always hungry, or always thinking you are hungry, this is pretty big. I mean, myself personally, I could not eat three pounds of frozen green beans. So we will take one of my favorite vegetable. Radishes.



Now these little things are good. Some people dislike them I suppose, but I personally love them. They have become a cruncher for me, one of those foods I eat to pass time. Now, here at work, where I work and have for the last year, we have a cafeteria. In this cafe are a good variety of foods, but mostly fried. My usual dieting exercises would always end in failure here, as I would starve myself for hours, than go eat my diet lunch, than get a huge craving, and go for a poutine at the cafe. (For those non Canadians, a poutine is fries covered in cheese and gravy.)

Now here at the cafe, our poutines are the same size as the large poutines at Harveys. The nice lil paper they give us at Harveys shows that poutines there run 750 calories. Let us add on a bottle of coke, which is what I usually had, 320 calories. Plus my diet lunch that was usually 2 sandwhiches Tuna and bread. Which came out to rougle 400 calories (Ironically just a lil more than the pop). So total lunch was 1290 Calories... about a 1000 less a day than I am consumming now, for one meal.

After this meal, as I am sure many of you could predict, I would be tired, very dim witted (not on the ball) and would usually need a nap after work.

Now today, I snack on about 10 ounzes of radishes at work, which is 60 calories. Than I have my lunch, a tuna sandwhich with lettuce, choped onions, mustard and some cayenne pepper. About 200-250 calories. I am more full, eating these healthy foods every 2-3 hours, in servings of 200-300 calories, than I was eating 4-5 meals a day of 800-1200 Calories. I am also more energetic, in a better mood, more creative, able to function better at work, and all this in a week and a half of chaning my diet. The change is so drastic my bosses have commented on my new mood. I guess this goes back to the story of you are what.

Another thing I have noticed in my new way of eating is how much more you appreciate the taste of foods. When eating processed,fastfood, you just eat, and taste the greasiness, fatty (which taste good don't get me wrong) and often unsatisfying (hunger wise) food. When you are choosing your foods for health wise, you begin to pay attention to the taste, and spices that you add to them. You look up recippees, and when you eat your food, it is more satisfying to you, than the fast food.

In other news, I would like to mention I joined the RoadBears club at http://www.bikejournal.com/ awsome, friendly club with alot of people who are all pushing each other to succeed. Jerry(who has been doing awsome at loosing weight) set up a website for them, at http://www.weightdesk.com/roadbears.htm If anyone here who a cyclist who is trying to lose weight, this would be an awsome motivator for you.

Well tommorow is weigh in day, I will post the results tommorow.

Ciao

4 Comments:

  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Poutine is a viscious addiction! My family is from Canada and we brought Poutine with us!

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Carolyn said…

    Hi Tyler,
    Thanks for your visit to my blog yesterday. Come back anytime :)

    I think it's neat that you're working on your weight. I've been following Tom Stormcrowe for a few months now and he is quite a motivator! I wish you much success. Dieting is hard, even if you're not overweight. I'm still learning about food and having to adjust what I eat to my age, activities, health, and other factors. I recently discovered dried apricots and roasted sunflower seeds, after replacing M&M's with them, lol! Now I don't think M&M's are all that good anymore. Odd, isn't it?

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What we eat really makes a big difference, doesn't it?

    - Pernicious person -
    :P

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home