The 400 pound mile

Monday, February 20, 2006

Well today was my first day training, and I am sore. I have been eating properly for the last week. My personal trainer suggested 6 small meals a day every 2 hours to help with my energy drop. It has worked beyond imagination, I feel like I can bounce off walls all day, I will definitely buy him a coffee next time I see him.

Today was my first day training. I was scared Ill admit it, I have never been so scared in my life. I walked into the same gym I have been going to for three weeks now, and I was scared. As I changed I thought about constantly just leaving, or maybe pretending to be sick and rescheduling. See, this visit was difference, much different than any ones of the previous three weeks. We were going to be doing weights....

Now, three years ago, Mr athlete would have loved to do weights, I would be drooling at the thought, but today..today I was not Mr. Athlete, I was Mr pound out of shape guy.

I went up to see Scott, I had met him last week as I was signing up for the personal training, he is a pretty cool guy, he played football for Guelph, which was the main reason I asked him to be my trainer.

I showed up at the gym around 4:00 for my 4:30 appointment, and changed into my outfit as the thoughts of running away crosses through my mind. I decided to do some cardio to warm up (this was a mistake but Ill tell you that later). So I jumped on a bicycle machine and went to it. I'm planning on buying a bicycle in 4 weeks, so figured it would be a good time to start. After doing my 15 minutes (4.5 miles, 18mph) I went off to see Scott.

At this point my legs were rubbery from the bicycle and I prayed to myself we would be doing no leg workouts today.

So I go up and see Scott, and he looks at me and says I am ready to hurt.. I like this guy, he means business. So me and Scott go over to the stairwell. He tells me I am going to run up and down this flight of stairs 6 times, than take a 1 minute break, than 5 times and a 1 minute ect ect.

At this point I am wishing I had not done any cardio, as my legs were already hurting. After this taking 15 minutes to do and me feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack we head over to the weights.

Now, with weights, I have no problem, save when the 110 pound blondie to my left is pushing twice as much weight with ease than I am, while I am struggling to push it with Scotts help. We started with bench press, which I pathetically was only able to do 25 and the bar at the end.

The workout went like this....

After the stairs and me gasping for breath like a fish out of water we go over to the weights.

Lay on bench
Scotts puts 50 pounds on side
I push the weight up and almost take my head off
Scott saves my life
Scott puts 35 on each side
I push up a pathetic 12 as the 110 blond beside me is pushing 50's on each side.

We go over to the pull downs
I do 35 pretty easily, 12 pull downs, Im feeling confident...

we take a one minute break, I stupidly, drink a full liter of water. ( we will see the results of this latter)

We go back to the bench, I am able to push up 35 about 8 times.. in crappy form..again..I have Scott help me with the last 4...

The blond is doing 65 a side now...

We go back to pulldowns, I do 50 now..life is good.

Go back to the bench press...I can't push up the 35, I can barely do 5 of the 25's....and can only pull out 10 of the bar...

little miss blond princess just finished 70 without breaking a sweat.

As we move on from the horror of the bench press, I start to feel faint..real faint. I tell Scott I'll be back in a second and run to the washroom, throwing up as I hit the bowl. For those who might just be starting out, take lil sips of water...not 1 liter gulps.

We now move on to pull ups, and flies. An exact episode of the bench comes back...

Scott helps me more than I help myself. He refuses to lower the weight, saying this will be the base, we can go up from there.

After this hour of horrors stop, I go hit the showers, spending a good 30 minutes in the steam room, before a 15 minute shower. Currently at work now, I feel great, save some tightness in the arms, which I expect. I expect the real pain will start tomorrow.

Tommorow I have a 30 minute boxing class, which is high intensity cardio...hopefully I will still be alive to make another post. :)

4 Comments:

  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger tylersstory said…

    Thanks :) Hopefully I will have the weight gone by the time Im ready to go to Waterloo. :) Thanks again for the support. :)

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ug - I hate getting sore from benches, they are the worst. Second would have to be out of shape and doing squats and deadlifts in the same day! Good luck, stop by again soon!

    -Pernicious Person

     
  • At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keep up the good work »

     
  • At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great site »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home