The 400 pound mile

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Please, don't stare at me, I’m trying to change


I am sure all of us who diet can relate to this feeling. You are going about your business, working, walking to school, walking to the gym, grocery shopping, and every few minutes you catch someone staring at you out of the corner of there eye. You see this, and you stop, and it hits hard, it hits hard that people look at you like you are so different. I am guilty of this, so are a lot of people, and I feel bad for it. People avoid you like obesity is some disease, no one sits near you on the bus, conversations strangers have stop when you are around, as they stare. I am a big guy, I know that, but there are people who are a lot bigger than me, and for all the staring I get, I know they have it worse. No matter how much I try, how much I workout, how much I want to change, I still feel guilty for eating in public, like someone somewhere is looking at me going "that’s why you are fat".

This can happen when you are eating a salad from a restaurant, people just sit there and stare at you. I almost want to jump up and scream at them, and ask them what are they staring at, do they not care that I am trying to change? That I am trying to turn into something different, something that will not be stared at?

It can also be a good motivator, you will not eat junk food in public, because you know people will look down on you, look at you with disgust, and think to themselves smugly "I got that person all figured out, they are fat because they eat so much".

I made this mistake, a friend of mine from the gym I saw him at McDonalds, so I went over to him. I said to him, thinking I was helping, "man, .this isn’t helping your diet". He looked at me, saddened obviously, and said "This is my cheat meal for the last two weeks, I love McDonalds, but I hate coming here and eating, I've lost a hundred pounds but this is nothing to these people".

I sat down with him, and ordered a cheeseburger, friends indulging together. We had an awesome conversation, and I had my cheat meal of the week. People stared, but we both knew inside that we were trying to change, trying to become something bigger. We were trying to be there for our children one day, for our grandchildren. We were working towards riding a century with the cycle club, or maybe we were just working, because we were tired of not being able to do the things we wanted. We left the McDonalds together, and walked the hour home, more than likely burning off most of the food we had just consumed.

Next time you stare, think to yourself, this person might be trying to change, they might just be enjoying a well earned cheat meal, or maybe they fell off the bandwagon as we all do from time to time.


Hopefully, one day, people will stop staring.

23 Comments:

  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Anne said…

    Well said Tyler. And fuck them. Seriously, you are doing this for you and for your future family like you said. I know, easier said than done. Keep up the great work. A cheat meal is good once in a while. They keep the major binges at bay.

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger jeannie* said…

    I second everything you just said... great post.

    You're doing great. Keep it up. And thanks for keeping us in check. Because we're all guilty of it... of thinking "you really shouldn't be eating that".. but we all cheat. And we all mess up. We shouldn't judge, even if its silently to ourselves.

    Keep up the great work!

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can totaly relate...

    About 2 months ago I was at some fast food joint, having that cheeseburger I had been dreaming of for a month.

    Even though I had been exercising 5 times a week for months and eating way better than I used to, some punk kid with his friends looked at me with disdain and said "keep eating you'll get fatter".

    I looked at him and laughed, and that made him angry... But inside I wanted to yell at him that I could probably kick his ass on a bike, and that I probably get more exercise in one day than he is in a weeek.

    You want to be strong, and let that slip by like it's nothing, but it hurts to be judged anyways.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I found your blog randomly through blogmad, but i just wanted to give you a thumbs up. congratulations on the weight you've lost so far and keep it up! I wish I could be as determined at losing weight.

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Blogger Marathon Someday said…

    Well said. If only others knew how hard we're trying and what a struggle it can be. Not everyone's born skinny - and some people have a great body handed to them on a silver platter.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger tylersstory said…

    @ Loosing me
    Yeah, cheat meals are awsome, Im still getting the diet down., but limiting gorging to once a week. :)

    @ Jeannie
    Yeah, like I said, Ive done it myself too, it just really hit hard when I noticed it outright. but we will all hit our goals :D

    @ Bynyben
    Ouch, man, that is the worst. That happened to me before, I barely eat out anymore because of it. That is the worst, and I know alot of people that would/have given up after something like that happenning. They take the whole "it doesnt matter anymore" and just throw in the towel to life.

    @Kelly
    thanks for dropping by :) I saw your blog, I like it :)

    @Sonya
    That is the truth, weightloss is truly something you do for yourself, no one else cares, but you. I had to learn to want to do this for me, and for my goals, even though one of those goals is to stop the stares.

    Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Cassandra said…

    Keep up the fight man. You inspire us all!

     
  • At 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keep up the good work. U will ge there in the end! U r doing a great job.

     
  • At 2:50 AM, Blogger JB Lazarte said…

    dude, visit manila. people here will LOVE you. im pretty sure of it.

     
  • At 4:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    tyler,

    I can completely relate to your story. the thing that hurts me the most is when people tell me, "wow, you have such a pretty face." most people don't understand why that bothers me. it bothers me because I know what they think about the rest of more. Why can't they just tell me "Wow, your pretty." It's like giving a compliment with an insult. Thanks for your blog... :) Congratulations on the progress so far! Keep it up.

     
  • At 4:26 AM, Blogger kdoll aka *~Puzzle~* said…

    Thank you for giving me a different perspective. I feel bad and I admitt that I've done that a few times. But I promise that the next time I'll look deeper. You're doing something so amazing that you're inspiring and encouraging those with other problems. God Bless you!

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tyler -

    just wanted to drop you a quick note from one Londoner to another.

    Keep up the great work, you have made amazing progress so far and I admire you for sharing your story with the blogosphere.

    It's hard sometimes to put your personal struggles out there and I really respect you for doing it.

    Keep on bloggin' in the free world!

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger Bex said…

    Tyler, congratulations on your successes! Keep up the AWESOME job you're doing. Your hard work and dedication is truly inspiring.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    People are just uncomfortable around you. They don't know how to approach you. I can sort of relate. I'm not overweight, but one of my friends is. I don't know his actual weight, but I estimate 250 lbs. And that's being generous. I didn't know how to approach him at first, but after getting to know the person inside, I got used to him. Now, I don't even see his weight.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have found that in lieu of eating in public, I will eat at home and overindulge - because I'm depressed that I can't eat in public. Sounds sane, right?

    - pernicious person.....

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, the post was great, really made me stop and think! For me I find going to the gym hardest. I got on weekends with my other half and we are regulars there now - the first few times I went there, there were a few girls working out and you could see the sneers on there faces looking at me - as if to say - what is someone so fat doing in a gym. Well gee - I wonder ;) losing weight and getting fit perhaps?

    Keep up the great work you've been putting in :) and don't worry bout that 2lbs it'll be gone next week.

     
  • At 4:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Personally, Tyler, when people used to(and still do) stare at me, I usually strike up a conversation with them...they either talk to me or they quit staring! If they talk to me, I often wind up with at least a friendly aquaintance or I get the pleasure of embarrasing them into looking elsewhere!

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger runny_yolk said…

    This is great post - and it's wonderful to see you making those changes. Screw those other people. You're doing great!

    I'd love to do your interview thing - let me know what you want me to do!

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there!

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger sea said…

    Wonderfully written post, and a stunningly profound reminder to all of us about making judgments about anyone for any reason. Wonderful blog.

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger WendyWings said…

    I can't even fathom people being that damned rude as to stare. You are doing great , as others have said keep it up.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Tyler

    About 5 years ago, I also worked hard to lose weight from 22% bodyfat down to 11% bodyfat and life is alot better now.

    To the people starring, Next time you may very well walk into the fast food restaurant and chance would be that the roles would be reversed, you smirking at the previous name-caller :)

    That was one of my biggest motivation.

    Keep up the great work, you will get there in no-time, coming from personal experience. :)

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Excellent, love it! » »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home