The 400 pound mile

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Thank You Stranger, You made my week

So a unknown stranger made my week yesterday. This person, who smelt of odd flowers sat beside me on the bus. A group of about 6 people jumped on the bus and this person sat down beside me. Sat down voluntarily beside me instead of standing up. They also did it without a look of disgust on there face.

Anyone who has ever been big and used the bus knows what I am talking about, nobody ever
sits beside you. They must think that obesity is contagious, or perhaps, more understandably,
They will feel crushed by me, or someone else taking up so much space. I wonder if that stranger had any idea they would be the topic of my entry today, and be seen by a thousand or more people.

Day in day out we ride the bus is silent agony, only wishing for human contact, or acceptance and never getting it. We sit and watch as the buss fills up, people sit beside one another till there are only a few spots left. The one beside the wino, the bums, the people who obviously have something wrong with them, and last but not least, the ones who are overweight.

It is a hard blow to ones self esteem when someone would rather stand on the bus than sit beside you. I must admit that I had become so use to it, that it more or less ceased to bug me. I am use to be stared at, that huge guy in the back who looks somewhat clean (again another rare trait among obese people, it seems that most of us left ourselves go.). So when this unknown stranger sat beside me it took me by suprise. Someone actually sat beside me. The little joys some people don't appreciate make the week of others.

So to my unknown angel, thank you for making my week by doing something that is so normal.

26 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home