The 400 pound mile

Thursday, August 17, 2006

1 week

Well today marks the 1st week of my diet, and I have to say I feel pretty good. I have more or less stuck too it (save 1 cheat meal of Alfredo pasta..mmmmm) and I am feeling damn proud of myself heh. Tommorow morning I start Cardio at the gym daily. I plan on doing that for a week before getting back into weightlifting so we will see what happens with that.

Came across an interesting article last night on BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4793455.stm

There are now more overweight people across the world than hungry ones, according to experts.

He told the International Association of Agricultural Economists the number of overweight people had topped 1bn, compared with 800m undernourished.



Now this to me was really suprising. Who would have seen this one comming 20 years ago? Where the world hunger would be starting to be cured, only to be replaced by world obesity.

The author of the article than went on to suggest this

He said food prices could be used to manipulate people's diets and tilt them towards healthier options.

"For instance, if we charge money for every calorie of soft drink and fruit drink that was consumed, people would consume less of it. "If we subsidise fruit and vegetable production, people would consume more of it and we would have a healthier diet."


So his issue is that the food that makes us fat is always the cheapest.

So tonight, I am going to compare prices of a day of meals and see if he is correct. I personally think it is more laziness and people not wanting to take 30-45 minutes a day to cook food properly. I will post my results tommorow. :)

16 Comments:

  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Arindana said…

    It's quite the debate. It's all a matter of perspective too I think.

    Lori posted this http://angryfatgirlz.blogspot.com/2006/08/false-economics.html on her blog on pretty much the same subject.

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll be looking forward to your results. We eat healthy, and I think it's less expensive than buying a lot of unhealthy snacks. Our fresh veggies and fruits come from a Vegetable store (big savings there)

    Have a nice weekend.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger AmPowerBlog said…

    Good luck to you!

    Burkean Reflections

     
  • At 4:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Ironic, isn't it?

     
  • At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    good luck!! I wish you all the best on your quest to be healthier!

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger TrixieBelden said…

    Congrats on your first week!

    It's sad to think of how many people are obese out there. But it doesn't take that much extra weight to be obese. I feel like if you aren't hyper vigilant and maintaining a healthy diet and exercise schedule, you will likely be obese.

    I found this definition of obese on the internet ... "It defines a person who is 20 percent or more above the expected weight for their height." If you're expected weight is 130 if you weigh 26 pounds more you are obese.

    Twenty six pounds doesn't seem like that much in the grand scheme of weight loss.

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger Frontman said…

    Since I have started my journey and changed my eating habits from the lazy fast food orientated diet that I was on, I have found that I am saving a lot of money on food. I'm not constantly dipping into the wallet to satisfy the latest craving for Mackers or ice cream. I regularly get through a week without spending any money at all now, whereas in the past that was simply unheard of.

    My shopping at the supermarket is way down, and now I reckon I only go down half of the aisles as the others have things in them that I simply no longer need to buy (chips, snacks, ice cream, cookies, chocolate etc...). The veggie store near our house is also much cheaper than the supermarket right next door. Our total spend on food is about one third less than what it used to be on average.

    Downunder here, the latest Diabetic Living magazine features a "Red Sports Car Diet". The gimmick with this diet is that the person promoting it saved enough money to buy a red sports car after a couple of years on the diet! It points out the amount of money you save over a two year period by not purchasing soft drinks and what have you. I'm not quite in that league yet, but who knows, a scooter might be achieveable in a year or so!

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger Christine said…

    Happy to see you back. I was still checking in on you! I knew you would be back! Good luck - I have fallen off the wagon as well, but I am looking forward to getting back on. Good luck.

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger Anji said…

    I remember reading that a young mother, who was not at all well off said that she knew that her kids would eat potato chips, she couldn't risk buying apples and know that they would be left to rot. Glad the first week has gone so well

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Cynthia said…

    I'm tracking my diet in my blog as well. I'm about four months into it now, and I wish you a lot of luck.

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I need help!.....I'm overweight and needs something that could help me in losing weight. I've done everything and searching for different information but I'am confused if which one will work for me. I just would like to ask if you heared about the gastric bypass formula without surgery. I saw it from this blog spot-howtofightobesityrocalabsreview.blogspot.com - Please let me know if someone knows something about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home